5 Reasons to Train Your dog
You’d think training a dog would be the first thing many people would think about after getting a puppy or new dog from a shelter. After all, training the dog is a great way to bond with him or her and is important for several reasons, as we’ll show you below.
- The main reason to train your dog is for your dog’s safety. Training your dog to sit on command, come to you on command, and stay are all important for fun and safety. If a dog is about to run into traffic and he obeys when you tell him to come back, then that’s great! If you don’t train your dog to do these 3 basic things, then you risk injury to your dog from all sorts of things like snakes, traffic, animal traps, etc.
- The second reason to train your dog is for your home’s safety. A dog that isn’t trained to stay off the bed, for example, or to not chew up your shoes, will soon find all sorts of ways to destroy your pillows, your walls, your floors, you name it!
- To bond with your pet. Training is a great way to build the right kind of relationship with your dog. He or she needs to see you as the Alpha, and by training the dog and providing rewards when he does something good, you’re showing the dog that you’re in charge and that you love him. The dog, in turn, is happy to have pleased his master and appreciates having boundaries.
- For everyone else’s sanity. No one likes the fact that your dog jumps on them when they come into your house. Seriously. They don’t. No one likes that you have to chase down your dog on every hike. Training your dog to heel, to sit when people arrive, and to just generally behave are important for your own social network. You’d hate for people to say, “Boy, I really like hiking with so and so, but her dog is just awful!”
- Finally, training your dog is a great way to keep him or her from getting bored. With some breeds of dog, training leads to more advanced fun, like agility training. This is a great way to keep your dog active and his brain entertained so that he doesn’t get bored. A bored dog is no one’s friend! They’re usually the culprits when you find the fridge open and all the food on the floor, or the trash can turned over. Training can help you avoid some, if not all, of that!
J&M Aquatics and Pet Center has great training tools: we have everything from clickers to 4-way leashes, and lots of treats and toys! Stop in and see us today and let us help you pick out just the right training equipment for your pet.