Dogs and Water Safety
Summertime is prime time for visits to the lake, the ocean, and mountain streams. If you’re taking your pup along we’ve got some tips for you on dogs and water safety:
- Make sure your pup knows how to swim and enjoys the water. Don’t be upset with him or her if your dog doesn’t like to swim. It’s not natural for all of them. Try it out with your pup first in a shallow area where you can be in the water with him and keep his leash on. Once he starts to swim with his front feet help him understand floating by lifting his back legs.
- If you’re anywhere other than your own backyard swimming pool, make sure your dog wears a life jacket. Dogs don’t know how to rest in the water and they just keep swimming until they can’t swim anymore. Stay close to them and keep them protected and afloat with a life jacket.
- After swimming make sure to rinse off your dog. Ocean water definitely isn’t good for them, and you just don’t know what might be lurking in lake or river water. Plus they’ll smell much better when all that fishy smell is gone!
- Don’t let them drink ocean water – have fresh water available to keep them hydrated. If at the beach make sure to have shoes for them to wear when crossing the sand too.
- Make sure to take off their flea collars before letting them in the water and dry and clean their ears afterwards to prevent infection.
- If you have a pool, make sure to have a fence around it so that Fido can’t get in on his own. Show him how to get out of the pool by using the steps.
- Finally, never ever leave your dog unattended in the water!
Stop in and check out our selection of life preservers and water toys for your pups!